About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
Moving into a new place where many have not been to before, me and the hubby truely did not know what to expect. As we find out for ourselves what kind of hole we have thrown ourselves into living in Hyderabad, here's a peek for all into this new world of ours.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eating out: Hard Rock Cafe @ Banjara Hills



Never did I think one day that I would be in possession of this. When I started my collection, this cafe was not even in existence!

 I don't remember exactly when but somewhere during my flying days, I started collecting Hard Rock Cafe (HRC) shotglasses. Not sure how many I have altogether now but there should be about 30-40 of them. For my collection of HRC shotglasses, I make it a point to buy them only if I have been to those places. That's why I will always tell friends not to buy me HRC shotglasses when they travel because they have been there, not me! 

When I was moving to the hubby's place, I had to pack them all into a box and while packing, many memories came back to me. When I look at each location, it reminds me of the city and sometimes, finding HRC in a foreign city is not easy at all!


In Seoul, I was alone and had walked for almost 1.5 hours before I found Hard Rock. I had a good time walking in the city but I had almost gave up. I still remember what the restaurant looks like in my mind. On a hot afternoon in Sydney, this kind stewardess had offered to go with me in a cab to HRC. At Niagara Falls, we took our passports along so that we can walk through immigration to the Canada side, Ontario to buy a different one. And my Boston's shotglass is still with Keith!

Some of the HRC shotglasses that I have are collector's items because they have shut operations in the city. And it goes on and on and on...


Last Saturday, I was brooding at home with no appetite as I felt the onset of a flu. When the hubby asked where we should go for dinner, my moody reply was I don't want dinner. It was already coming to 9pm and thought we would phone for food delivery eventually. That was until I watched Man vs Food on cable television. The host was in one of the American states trying to conquer some eating challenge and when I saw the humongous steak sandwich, my stomach gave a weak growl. I want my steak too! The power of television...


Beef is not a staple in most restaurants, so besides a hotel, it would be HRC that is closest to us. The menu is largely the same as the other outlets but of course, they had plenty of Indian vegetarian options too.

I didn't have to think because all I wanted was the 8oz steak. Hubby had the burger as usual. I must have been hungry because I found the 8oz steak not enough! A 10oz would have been perfect.

We only found out that the fryer was not working when the food was served and the onion rings were replaced by nachos instead. Was a tad disappointed because what is a burger without fries or onion rings with ketchup? I was so looking forward to snitching the onion rings from the hubby.


Anyway, the place was buzzing with really loud music (FYI: not Indie music) and cricket was being screened. Conversation was difficult with the loud music but it is interesting to people watch instead. HRC Hyderabad opened late last year. Though it is not as crowded as the HRC back home, it is one of the happening place to be with a young crowd and small number of expats. However, it is a different story on Thurs nights when the local crowd throng this place to listen to performing bands. The last time we went on a Thurs, we couldn't even get near the door.


As we left, the music was still buzzing in our ears. So, even though I have bought my shotglass, this will not be a one time visit. I will be definitely still be back to get my steak fix from time to time. Just hope that the fryer is working!

Update: For the third time that we were there, there was still no onion rings available. Makes me think that maybe they do not serve it at all!

No comments: