About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
Moving into a new place where many have not been to before, me and the hubby truely did not know what to expect. As we find out for ourselves what kind of hole we have thrown ourselves into living in Hyderabad, here's a peek for all into this new world of ours.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Visiting Lumbini Park

We were planning on a quiet Sunday and thought that we should go check out this mall called Prasad along Necklace Road that houses the only IMAX theatre in Hyderabad.

Sad to say, the mall had nothing to retain our attention so we decided to head off after grabbing some lunch. The question of where to go next came up and since we were so near the floating Buddha Statue at Hussain Sagar Lake, we decided to visit it impromptu. This is one of the tourist attractions that was on our list to visit anyway. 

What we didn't know is that we needed to get into Lumbini Park to go see the statue.  The Hubby was not happy that he didn't have his camera with him and though my LX-5 was with me, I had left the memory card in my lappy!

But the LX-5 never fails me including today because it has its own internal memory!

There was an entrance fee of Rs10 (SGD 0.30) into the garden which is really affordable for the locals and the boat ride to the floating Buddha will cost another Rs30 (SGD 0.90) person.

Don't be fooled into thinking that this is a natural lake because it is not! This 24 sq km lake is entire man made eons long ago in 1562. I have no idea however how long did it take!

We enjoyed the trip as the park was not overcrowded and its a change to be surrounded by greenery. Am not sure if we will revisit again but for anyone visiting Hyderabad, you definitely should drop by.


Welcome to Lumbini Park

Woman selling corn at park entrance

Another street vendor


Children cooling off in the heat

Favourite past time here


Front view of the the 18m statue

Upclose in its original colour

A ride in the park that will give you a vantage view

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Nice pics! When I was there I passed by the statue (on the way to Secunderabad I think) couple of times myself but never got a chance to visit :( maybe I should next time!

Grace said...

Thanks! I am sure you will have plenty of opportunities to do that afer you move here. :)

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading about your visit to Lumbini park, Hyderabad. With boating facilities, fun rides, laser shows and more, Lumbini park is a perfect destination to spend a fun day with your family or close ones. Check out more about Lumbini park such as entry fee and timings.