About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
Moving into a new place where many have not been to before, me and the hubby truely did not know what to expect. As we find out for ourselves what kind of hole we have thrown ourselves into living in Hyderabad, here's a peek for all into this new world of ours.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

MasterChef USA

Starworld started showing MasterChef USA on Monday last week and it made me so happy that I had something to look forward to now at 9pm!

For the last 2 months after Bones, Amazing Race and MasterChef USA ended their run almost simultaneously, I had suffered telly withdrawal symptoms and had turned to watching drama serials online.

So, I was most happy that my telly routine is now back except that I was rather skeptical about Gordon Ramsay as one of the judges. He is the reason as to why I never liked watching Hell's Kitchen because there was just too much shouting and verbal abuse coming from him.

Ramsay is surprisingly rather toned down as compared to Hell's Kitchen. In fact, I couldn't believe it that he was sympathetic towards this contestant who couldn't bring herself to kill a live dungeoness crab!
  
This US version feels like a mad mad rush. It doesn't give you enough time to know the contestants, to see what they do at the house, what they are reading behind the scenes in order to be a better chef, who are friends with who, etc.

MasterChef Australia gives an entire hour to broadcast the different challenges like Invention Test and the Mystery Box but the US version only gives 30 mins for each. So after all the massive editing, I don't really get to see the contestants cooking. Seeing how each contestant cook shows not only their technique but it also gives you a glimpse of their style and personality. 

 But I think the worst thing they had done so far is to only show one judge's comment on each dish. I am sure that each of the judges would have different opinions and critique but sadly, most of that is missing. Thanks to all the editing, I also do not feel like I know the judges any better as a celebrity chefs. The other two judges - Joe Bastianich and Graham Elliot are just but new names to me.

Also missing from the US version are the Pressure Test, Celebrity Chef Challenge, Elimination and Masterclass. With so many missing elements, watching MasterChef USA is like drinking sachet mushroom soup, missing the cream and fresh mushrooms. It just does not deliver that kick and excitement that makes you want to watch more.

Conclusion, this US version with lots of drama and %$# words doesn't work for me. Bring me the Australia version anytime.

2 comments:

Shandenous said...

Graciepappapapapa, u know who the winner was of Master Chef USA?? :) I do!

Grace said...

Sadly, I do. :( Couldn't quite believe who it was. Have they shown this in SIN already?