About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
Moving into a new place where many have not been to before, me and the hubby truely did not know what to expect. As we find out for ourselves what kind of hole we have thrown ourselves into living in Hyderabad, here's a peek for all into this new world of ours.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Down to a week

In less than a week's time, living in Hyderabad will become a memory for us.

Many have congratulated me for surviving the year and are more excited than me about leaving. Truth to be told, I think the fact that we are leaving has not sunk in for me. Every morning is still just another day where the hubby goes to work and I am just pottering around the house. I feel like being in auto pilot mode where I know we need to sell things, pack stuff, etc. but I am just going through the motion without the expected feelings of excitement or delight. Maybe my heart has long flown away and is waiting for me to catch up with it. 

Looking back in retrospect usually makes time seem to have passed by so fast. Even I would agree that one year is not a long time but the past year definitely felt like a stretched one.

Anyway, last week was a busy one. We had put ads up online to sell the household items that we have bought here and the landlord was also arranging prospective tenants to view the apartment.

I am now convinced that anything can be sold second hand here. Initially I thought that we would have to give away items like crockery and food storage containers (like lock lock) but surprisingly, there are people who are more than happy to buy them. 

Friends around had advised us to collect a deposit from the buyers to ensure that they will come back for the items. Else, there's a high chance of us being left with items unsold and only empty promises. So, that was what we did.

Well, as people start collecting the items this weekend and as I start filling up the suitcases, hopefully I will start feeling that what is happening is reality.

2 comments:

Sandip - sand_royc@hotmail.com said...

Hello Grace - Hi! I hit your blog while looking for some reviews of the Chillis at Inorbit Mall. Soon, by the flavour of your blog, I guessed that you could be Singaporean. Since, moving to Hyd in Oct 2009, my wife and me lamented that there weren't any Singaporean community here. No, we are not Singapore citizens, but PRs. I lived and breathed there for 10 years, after which, for personal reasons, I had to relocate to Hyderabad. Didn't have much choice then. Everyday we miss Singapore, not just for the quality and ease of living but for the people, food and good memories. Food, we seriously miss, because we loved every thing from chicken rice to dumpling noodles. From your blogs, I find you are less critical of the city than we are. Anyways, I realize you are moving out soon. Wish you and your family all the best. I hope you carry some good memories from India. And you would want to visit another day. We still retain our Sg NRICs and friends and would like to go back some day. Regards. Sandip.

Grace said...

Hi Sandip, Thanks for your well wishes. Yes, the Singaporean community in Hyderabad is really very small, almost non existent.

The two cities are very different and trust me, I had my days when I rant excessively and cannot understand why some simple things just cannot be done. I think you know what I mean.

It was definitely quite an experience in India and it is a mixed bag of memories that we will bring away with us. Tho, I suspect I might miss eating idly and masala dosa!

Anyway, the flight back to Singapore is not long. You should definitely make short trips back! For the chicken rice and friends. :)