About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
Moving into a new place where many have not been to before, me and the hubby truely did not know what to expect. As we find out for ourselves what kind of hole we have thrown ourselves into living in Hyderabad, here's a peek for all into this new world of ours.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Letter to Mr Chetan - Author of 2 States

Dear Mr Chetan,

I have just finished reading your book 2 States and would like you to know that I had enjoyed the book very much.

Being a Singaporean Chinese who moved into Hyderabad about a year ago, both me and my spouse had experienced first hand the cultural difference. 

Thanks to your book, it showed me that even among Indians, cultural differences exists and that a North Indian will also go through the same cultural shock when coming into the southern part of India.

You had captured some of the key anecdotes about living in South India so well that at times of reading the book, you had me laughing out loud. 

Some foreigners might think that you are exaggerating when you write about Ananya's brother starting his day at 5am with tuition but I know it's true because it is happening to my neighbour's kid. In Singapore, most children are all too familiar with having tuition on top of attending school but to have tuition at such ungodly hours is unthinkable.

Some incidences which I had only heard of but yet to experience, I am living it through your writing. 

Not too sure how close this story is based on your life's story but the characters in the book - Krish and Ananya, has definitely lived up to the saying of love conquers all.

No comments: