About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
Moving into a new place where many have not been to before, me and the hubby truely did not know what to expect. As we find out for ourselves what kind of hole we have thrown ourselves into living in Hyderabad, here's a peek for all into this new world of ours.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Practice makes almost perfect!

This phrase is true for most things and I have to say especially in the area of cooking.

After cooking almost on a daily basis for like three to four months now, I have to say that most of my dished have improved since the first time I tried cooking it. I remember the sense of satisfaction that I got especially from the Sweet and Sour Chicken that I made for the second time.

The improvement to the dishes comes through the form of feedback from the very picky eater I have at home and reading of different recipie versions.

A homemaker friend once told me that she makes 3 different version of the same dish in order to please her husband, son and herself. When I asked why she bothered, her answer was: "Well, you want them to be happy eating what you have cooked, so it is their preference that matters over mine." Words of wisdom for me.

Recently, I got bored and tried to make the Chinese style carrot cake but it was a disaster. Thanks to me trusting a website which told me that rice flour is the same as plain flour, my carrot cake never set even after steaming for a long time. It was such a setback to me and my morale. More than that, I had wasted precious stock of my chinese mushrooms and dried shrimps. Thank goodness I was smart enough not to add in the chinese sausage.

It took me two weeks before I attempted again and this time was a mini success! I followed another recipe and made sure that I bought rice flour. It was not a huge success as I think the texture can still be a bit firmer and more chewy. 

Here are the pictures of my 2nd attempt:

The mixture before steaming

Steamed Carrot Cake


Carrot Cake Pan Fried

No comments: