About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
Moving into a new place where many have not been to before, me and the hubby truely did not know what to expect. As we find out for ourselves what kind of hole we have thrown ourselves into living in Hyderabad, here's a peek for all into this new world of ours.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Eating Out: Chutneys @ Banjara Hills

Wikipedia: Chutney is incorporated into English from Hindi describing a pasty sauce in Indian cuisine. It is a term for a class of spicy preparations used as an accompaniment for a main dish. Chutneys usually contain an idiosyncratic but complementary spice and vegetable mix.

Since the time we arrived here, we kept passing by this restaurant that didn't look too welcoming but there was always a crowd. Later, we found out that it is an established vegetarian restaurant that we should go try. However, the location is not too friendly as it is near a busy intersection and there was no other shops nearby. It has been 2 months plus now and finally, I had gone there for lunch today after gym.

I had been craving for masala dosa/ thosai for a few days now and my friend so kindly gave into my craving, suggesting that we have it after gym. Thanks D!

My first masala dosa was at Minerva Coffee Shop and I had tried it at Ohris before too. Dosa is made out of rice and black lentils and you can have many different fillings. The masala dosa's filling is mashed potatoes with spices but it is not too spicy which suits me well. I cannot quite describe why I like dosa, but to me it tastes very clean, is healthy and satisfying.

Out of the many chutneys, the one that I like best is this peanut-coconut chutney that is very full flavoured. Besides that would be the sambar (looks like a watered down curry) which is usually served along with the dosa.

The place was so crowded when we arrived as it had clashed with lunch hour which is around 2pm+ but we only waited for around 15mins. One reason why this place is popular with locals is also its friendly-priced menu. D had the steamed dosa and we ordered idly (soft steamed rice cakes) to share. With a drink each (coffee for D and mango lassi for me), our meal came up to about Rs350/ SGD12.


So on a Sat when I went to the gym, had my craving of dosa satisfied plus a good time of girl-bonding, it was a great start to the weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing with us great blog about food in Hyderabad.

Online Deals in Hyderabad

Unknown said...

Nice blog ..! I really loved reading through this

article.. Thanks for sharing such a amazing post

with us and keep blogging...
tattoo

parlours banjara hills